At PTOLEMUS, we define urban mobility as the combination of dynamic patterns and structural conditions that transport people in urban and interurban environments.
The concept of mobility has grown to include a large variety of services and revenues within multimodal transportation. However, for the past two decades, cars have continued to be the primary mean of passenger transport.
The importance of urban mobility is expected to grow due to innovative technologies and shifts in demographic trends. We are experiencing a mass movement of people to the cities and it is expected that by 2050, 70% of the world’s population will live in urban environments.
Improvements in connected services have allowed service providers to offer new solutions that make integrated urban transport less expensive, more efficient, and more accessible:
- New mobility solutions created specifically to target first and last mile problems.
- Integrated payments for multimodal private and public transport .
- Connectivity and open data offer a new pool of data which allows service providers/municipality to take better informed decisions.
- Autonomous vehicles and sharing will become transversal to all public and private transport services / initiatives.
The ability of public entities to write supporting regulations will determine the impact of these trends on 3 key areas:
- Society: general improvements in safety and accessibility
- Economy: lower transportation costs for the public and operator due to more informed decisions and efficient allocation of resources.
- Environment: lower environmental impact due to more sustainable transport solutions.
PTOLEMUS has vast experience in urban mobility through research and consulting projects:
- Published a global connected mobility report for multimodal passenger transport that includes a mobility demand forecast until 2030.
- Built a city mobility model that gives multimodal recommendations to improve public and private transport systems in a given city.
- Consulting projects
- Strong network of contacts that include key players in the industry
Regulations, mergers and acquisitions, and market entrance will continue to accelerate change and competition around urban mobility. PTOLEMUS assists companies to assess challenges and to decide how to utilise the vast opportunities of the evolving mobility market.
Our projects in the field of urban mobility and connected vehicle services include:
- Defining our client’s future vehicle connected services global strategy
- Defining our client’s strategic positioning in the field of connected vehicle services
- Defining connected vehicle data strategy for innovative telematics services provision and monetisation
- Assessing the global market trends and built forecasts of over 14 connected mobility services globally
- Defining & implementing our client’s partnership strategy in the connected vehicle ecosystem
- Forecasting the size of the total mobility services market and estimated the penetration of connected services.
- Quantifying the revenues of the telematics platform provider’s B2B2C connected car service market