North American Road Usage Charging Study 2021
The North American Road Usage Charging market will grow to over €38 billion by 2030
Since the publication of the 2nd edition of our Electronic Tolling Global Study in 2018, the electronic tolling landscape has evolved significantly in every region of the world.
The North American Road Usage Charging market is changing. Due to North American road infrastructure funding models shifting to a user-pays model to ensure fairness in charging for road use. The introduction of road usage charging as a replacement for the gas tax is growing in the US, in particular in states with high adoption of EVs. In addition, several cities in both the United States and Canada have announced interest in implementing a congestion charge; New York City is in the process of developing the program now
All the while, advances in electronic tolling technology and lower prices – especially in RFID – are enabling the growth of ETC to more and more markets at more ambitious scales.
There is now a wide choice of technology and models for governments to choose from. Electronic Tolling and Road Usage Charging – worldwide – is entering a golden era as governments search for funding alternatives in the wake of rapidly declining fuel tax revenues, combined with a growing need to manage urban congestion and improve air quality.
The North American Electronic Tolling Study is based on:
- Over 10 years of constant ETC market surveillance;
- 6 months of desk research by a team of 7 consultants
- 35 strategy consulting assignments in the ETC domain
This is the most assertive and well-researched study on the North American Electronic Tolling market in the world and includes details such as:
- Geographic analysis of the top national- and (new for the US) state-level electronic tolling domains around the world, and specifically includes:
- An in-depth review of 2 countries that operate tolling in North America with traffic volumes, technology, model, size and revenues projections
- A comparative assessment of all tolling technologies:
- Deployment models and impacting trends for ANPR, DSRC, Infrared, GNSS and RFID
- Assessment of emerging technologies including fleet telematics devices, smartphones, and connected car payments
- Forecast of the technology mix
- An in-depth assessment of North America including:
- Introduction to the market including legislation and major infrastructure campaigns
- Forces and models shaping interoperability
- Review of current and future projects
- Value chain and presentation of major local players
- Technology roadmap
- Country profiles for the major tolling domains
- 2020-2030 bottom-up market forecast
- North American scope: 2 countries investigated in detail
- Projections of the toll and electronic toll market in North America: toll revenues, subscription volumes, share of ETC, key influencing factors
- An Excel file with subscription volumes by technology and vehicle type, devices sold, total revenues collected and ETC-only revenues collected
If you are interested in purchasing a copy of the North American Electronic Tolling Study and its accompanying forecasts, please register your interest by filling in your details in the form below to receive your complimentary copy of the associated report abstract.